1.02.2011

Sundays in the kitchen

The holidays are over - 'sniff'. Time to get back to our regular lives with our regular routines. Work, school, regular meals that don't involve over the top turkey dinners and too many desserts to choose from. So many choices that I just gave up and chose them all! But that was last year - you can't look back! Time for fresh starts and new features on this blog! After a two-week break from proper homecooking and bagged-lunches baking, I'm back in the kitchen! I spend almost every Sunday in the kitchen cooking up a big family meal and baking food for the upcoming week's lunches. Join me here every Sunday as I share some of the things that are cooking in my kitchen! While the roast is roasting away in the slow cooker, I whipped up this batch of granola that, doubled, should get us through a couple of weeks of breakfast! Mmmm! This should help inspire me to get my butt out of bed tomorrow morning! For the lunches, there's these granola bars as well as some yummy banana muffins - see recipe below! I adapted this recipe from a family banana bread recipe. Make it up as a loaf, or as muffins! This recipe make about 1 dozen muffins.
Banana Bread
1/2 C oil
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C honey
2 tbsp. ground flax seed mixed with 6 tbsp. hot water
3 bananas
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 C flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt 
Optional add-ins: 1/2 C chocolate chips, 1 C walnuts (my personal favourite, but with nut allergies, not allowed in our house!), 1 C frozen blueberries folded in.


Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together wet ingredients before adding dry ingredients. Add optional ingredients if you choose. Pour into greased loaf pan or into muffin tin and bake for about 40-50 mins. for a loaf, and about 20-30 mins. for muffins.
What's cooking in your kitchen?

No comments: