6.14.2010

Backyard foraging

Shhh! This recipe has to be our little secret. See those delicious cherries above? The ones I had to shoo the birds away from? I have a confession to make...they're not really my cherries from my cherry tree. It's really our neighbour's tree. And it hangs beautifully into our backyard. So I was thinking this morning that since it has invited itself into our yard, I would quietly steal pick a few for our supper's dessert. I mean, there's no way those greedy birds can eat that entire tree clean! And since I rarely see our neighbours in their backyard, surely they wouldn't miss a couple of cups of cherries! They went perfectly with the last of our rhubarb in this sweet and sour dessert! I love backyard foraging!
Sour Cherry Rhubarb Crisp
2 C sour cherries
3 C rhubarb
1/3 C sugar
1 tbsp. flour
a squeeze of lemon juice
Topping:
1/2 C oatmeal
1/4 C dairy-free margarine
1/2 C flour
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Pour fruit mixture into 8x8 baking dish and sprinkle topping over the fruit. Bake at 350F for about 30 mins.

No comments: