5.18.2013

40 in 40

I love hearing other people's stories. There's something about hearing snippets of a person's life that deepens that connection for me. I know as a child, I could not get enough of listening to family members tell their stories and memories of growing up. Some of them I had heard many times before, but that didn't matter to me. There was always a new detail added that I had never heard before or something that I had forgotten. I gobbled it all up! And I still do! 

In 40 days, I turn 40. I'm not sad or down about rolling into a new decade. I mean, the 30s were great and all, but oh so flipping exhausting with having babies and raising kids and losing jobs and just trying to keep my head above water. But as I look forward to this new decade that awaits me, I can't help but look back. I've spent some time over the last several months reflecting on my life. Not in a way that's filled with regrets and should-haves and wishes that I had made different choices. But simply reflecting on and remembering my stories. The events in my life that shaped me into the person that is ready to grab 40 by the horns. And with that, I'm embarking on a bit of a project. 40 stories in 40 days. Here it goes!



I was born Amy Rebecca Neilands on June 26, 1973. There was nothing hugely eventful about my birth, other than I came earlier than expected interrupting my mom's last day of work at Hensall Public School (impatient right from the get-go), and my dad missed the momentous occasion. This being my parents' first, I guess he was told there would be lots of time before I would arrive, so he figured he could finish up his golf game before heading to the hospital. Or so I've been told. I'm guessing it was a beautiful day if golf was on the agenda.(I stand corrected, he wasn't golfing but trying to get errands finished before their lives changed forever!)  And doesn't that look like a beautiful day when the above pic was taken of a first-time mom gazing lovingly at her first born? Of course, now that I'm all grown up and have been that first-time mom, I can almost read my mom's thoughts on that beautiful day. "Holy crap, now what?" Actually, she wouldn't have used such profanity...I'm the potty mouth. But that's a story for another time. 

No comments: