3.07.2010

Sunday brunch

I woke this morning to a leftover baguette that was screaming to be turned into yummy French toast. But this couldn't be any French toast. First of all, the French toast we make in our house is made without the key ingredient of French toast the world over - eggs. We substitute this staple with apple sauce or bananas, which makes for a nice and sweet Sunday brunch treat:
3/4 C apple sauce or 1 mashed banana
1/2 C milk 
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Dip the bread in the mixture. Now the trouble I have found with making French toast without egg is trying to fry it in the frying pan - I've never been able to fry it without it turning into a bready mess. To solve this problem, I simply bake them. 
But I was feeling a little more creative this Sunday morning than usual Sunday mornings - maybe it was the long-lost sun that was beaming in through the kitchen window - and thought I would try adding a little somethin' somethin' to the tops of the toast. A little oatmeal? A little brown sugar? Margarine? But of course! It was just what this little toasts needed!
2 tbsp margarine
1/3 C brown sugar
1/3 C oatmeal
2 tbsp walnuts (optional - I added these to the adult toasts)
Mix together and top on each toast before baking in a greased baking dish at 350F for about 10-15 minutes.
Voila! Apple Crisp French Toast! I heated up 1 C frozen blueberries with 1 tbsp honey to add to each plate. We're fuelled and ready to get out into this beautiful spring-like weather! 



1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.