4.24.2011

Sunday in the kitchen

I'm feeling a bit hungover this morning. My head feels slightly headachy, my brain a bit foggy. My stomach is slightly nauseous. If I had been drinking wine the night before, I would have blamed it on that. But I wasn't. This particular Sunday morning I'm suffering from the cumulative affects of having consumed too much sugar. Jellybeans, chocolate, rich, decadent desserts. Yeah, that pretty much sums up my diet to this point in the weekend. And we still have two more Easter dinners to go. I need vegetables. My body is begging for something green, crunchy, and nutritious...like this chickpea salad. Oh yeah, I can't wait to dig into this at my next family dinner this afternoon! Of course I am also bringing along a dessert for the masses to enjoy, so I am bringing along the most delicious peanut butter cups from The Kind Diet cookbook. This recipe has become a popular one in this house - I substitute the peanut butter for soy nut butter, and the maple sugar for rice syrup (a nice, less sweet alternative, which is needed on this day!)
Chickpea Salad
1 can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
1/2 red onion 
1 orange pepper 
1 stalk of celery 
A handful of fresh herbs - I used mint for this particular salad.
Dressing
1/4 C olive oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 clove of garlic
1/2" piece of ginger grated
1 tsp organic sea seasoning
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
Put chickpeas in a bowl and add chopped up vegetables. In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients and add to salad. Toss and refrigerate about an hour before serving. 
What's cooking in your kitchen this Easter Sunday?

No comments: